Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An Interesting Night - God With Us

God takes care of us.  Last night about 2 a.m. I was heading to bed, but needed to feed the babies first.  Corbin was fussing, and Cameron was sleepy, so I put Cameron in the pack'n'play and picked up Corbin.  As I turned toward our bed I felt blood dripping down my legs.  It's been a week since the c-section, so I thought I must have passed some clotting. I handed Corbin to Roy and told him I was going to clean up.
When I got into the bathroom, I couldn't figure out where the bleeding was coming from.  The blood was thin too, and dripping a lot. Roy asked me if it was my incision, and he was right.  He put the baby back in the pack'n'play and came to help me.  I grabbed a towel and he helped me back to our room where I laid on the bed.  "Honey, what do you want me to do?"  I told him to call 911, this wasn't normal.  So as Roy is calling 911,  both babies wake up and they are hungry and screaming.  Roy handed me his phone to call my mom to come over, and picked up the babies.  Aaron woke up and Roy told him what was going on.  As Aaron was tearing up, he said, "Daddy, do you want me to take a baby?"  Aaron was upset but calm.  Thankfully Lily was spending the night at her bff's house, or she would have been really, really, really upset.
We also called our friends that live around the corner to come help with the babies.
I remembered from the c-section that when the spinal/epidural was put in my blood pressure dropped and I felt very nauseous.  I was feeling pretty normal though, so I thought my blood pressure must be okay.
The ambulance got there, 2 EMT's and 1 student EMT.  Roy had told 911 I was conscious and holding pressure on the wound, so they didn't use lights or sirens.  They took my vitals and my blood pressure was 142/80, a little high.  I was able to walk down the stairs and out to the stretcher.  Of course, I'd bled through my undies, so I'm parading out the door in just a hoodie, sleep bra and the towel I was holding over my incision.  They put a very warm heavy blanket on me as soon as I got on the stretcher, which kept me mostly covered and warm.  We only live 5 minutes from the hospital, so they had just enough time to check my vitals again in the ambulance, and let the rookie/student EMT call ahead to the hospital.
The ER was not busy at all, so I was seen right away by a doctor, P.A., and 2 nurses. Dad brought Roy down right behind the ambulance, so they were both there right away too.
The steri-strips were soaked with blood and fluid, so they were taken off.  I had pictured my incision "unzipping" or something terrible like that, but it was just a small area less than 1/2 an inch that was leaking. The doctor checked it out and showed me how it wasn't thick blood, it was mixed with fluid, like when a blister pops or leaks.  He used an ultrasound machine to see if he could see any pockets of pus or fluid, and nothing showed up.  He consulted with the OB/Gyn doctor on call, Dr. Barker.  He's been around a long time, and agreed with the ER doctor.  If it was bright red blood or really thick, it could have been an arterial bleed, but the drainage seemed to be stopping on it's own.  The official diagnosis is Wound Dehiscence, or wound failure. We'll keep an eye on it and change the dressing as needed.  I could have more drainage, but not like the first gushing/dripping that scared us so much.

Despite the intense situation, GOD WAS WITH US, because:
1. Lily was spending the night with her best friend, so she didn't have to go through such a traumatic experience.
2. Mom and Dad were home and came over right away.
3. Rhea and Andy live 6 houses away and got to our house in no time. Rhea's mom was staying with them for the holidays, so their kids were taken care of at home.
4. My sister Sarah started praying for me as soon as I called her.
5. Ambulance/EMT's were at our house in 3 minutes or less.
6. Blood pressure/vitals were stable.
7. We caught the injury right away, since we were still up with the babies.
8. Roy thought to check my incision site.
9. Aaron sprang into action right away and helped Daddy with the babies. (Aaron wouldn't go to bed until we got home).
10. Despite leaving half clothed in the middle of a very cold night, I was kept warm and got to the hospital and treatment without issue or delay.
11. Dad thought to go back home and get me some clothes and my coat.
12. A family from church had brought us an extra meal for tonight, so that's one less thing to worry about today.
13. The nurse that discharged us and the twins last Friday had given us extra pre-made Similac for the babies, just in case we needed to supplement.  Rhea, Andy and my mom were able to feed the twins immediately and get them to sleep.
14. We were awake when it happened, so there was no delay in treatment, and Roy was right there with me the whole time.
15. I didn't have to stay in the hospital, which was very good since I'm nursing the twins.  As soon as we got home I snuggled in with Corbin for a good long nursing session.  That was the best medicine for me.  We woke Cameron up to eat too, then we all slept a few hours.

I'm grateful for my God that watches over us before we even know what's happening, for family and friends that will drop everything at 2:30 a.m. and take care of my babies and lift me up in prayer, my oldest son who stepped up with a maturity I've never seen from him before, and my husband who loves me and takes care of me even when he's scared to death.  I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

Sarah's Blog said...

Your post made me cry! I love you!

TheDorothyFamily said...

Ditto what Sarah said. And, Aaron you ROCK buddy, awesome kid Bridgit.