Saturday, December 25, 2010

TMI Alert - The babies are born!

What an adventure!  Tuesday, Dec 21st we welcomed Corbin and Cameron into the world. The c-section went well.  I was nervous about the spinal, but after 2 or 3 tries it went in. My feet and legs immediately started feeling warm and tingly as they laid me down on the OR table.Then my blood pressure dropped and I got very nauseous, like they had a tube and a puke tub under my chin. They had warned me it may happen, but I'd had no food or drink since midnight, so it was just dry heaves.  Not fun but it subsided as my blood pressure went back up and I felt fine. The anesthesiologist was very diligent in telling me what to expect, what may happen, asking how I was feeling, etc. He said Dr Olson was pinching me really hard, and I didn't feel a thing - ready!  By the time Roy was brought in I was feeling good again, grinning from ear to ear.  He held my hand as they got started.
There was some Christmas music playing, and as the babies were born at 12:03 and 12:04, one of my favorite Christmas songs came on, Christmas Canon by Trans-Siberian Orchestra with little kids singing.  I said to Roy, "I love this song!  I have it on my iPod!  And the babies are being born to it!"
The baby on my right side had been referred to as Baby B in the womb because he was up higher than Baby A.  However, the baby on the right was actually born first, so he became Baby A.  I was pretty sure it was the one on my right that came out first.  No pain, but there's definitely tugging and pressure with pulling out a baby.  Then some more tugging and pressure on my chest and Baby B (formerly Baby A in the womb) was born!  Suddenly I could breathe again, without all that weight in my belly.  What a relief!
Then hearing them both screaming and crying made me smile and cry all at once.  A nurse brought Roy over to the babies!  He said "they have dark hair!"  Finally they called out their weights.  Baby A was 6 lbs 14 ounces - "What?!  WOW!"  and Baby B was 6 lbs 9.4 ounces - "They're SO BIG!!"  The atmosphere was so happy, joyful and full of celebration!  I wasn't able to have my glasses on during the c-section, just in case I needed an oxygen mask, so they brought the babies in nice and close for me to see.  Baby A had dark hair and very long fingers.  His skin was so soft!  Baby A looked a little different than Baby B, but dark hair too.  The nurses asked Roy their names and he said, "Oh no, I've got to consult with my wife before we decide who's who!"  Roy followed the babies into the recovery room across the hall, where I could still hear them crying and crying!!  Before long I was all stitched up and transferred off the OR table and back into a bed. Then I was wheeled into the recovery room too.  Roy came right over and told me they were perfect!  His said his gut said Baby A was Corbin and Baby B was Cameron, but he wanted me to see too. Once I saw them, I agreed with Roy, it just felt right.

More later!

2 comments:

Chasity Weeks said...

Congrats! My boys were born Dec 19th. I remember them being so small.
Chasity

LuaVick said...

So happy for you! Little boys are a blessing in disguise. Usually in the form of messy fingers pulling your hair, and endless hours of discussion on the merits of Thomas the Tank Engine and if Percy really is better than James. Congratulations on your bundles of energy and joy. -Lua Vick