Sunday, December 19, 2010

Random things I've learned with a 38-week twin pregnancy

No matter how big you buy maternity shirts and pants, only 1 or 2 are going to still fit at the end, if you're lucky.
Being tall helps with carrying babies, but not with keeping your belly or ankles covered.
Being hugely pregnant in winter is nice because it's not hot outside, but it would have been nice to just throw on a giant maxi dress every day.
My belly measured 53 cm (53 weeks) as of 37 weeks along.
I swelled up like a water balloon the last 2 months.
You will need help getting dressed, at least socks and shoes/slippers.
Buy big slippers that look enough like shoes to get by.  I wear a women's 11, had to buy men's 11/12.
A good foot soak equals an instant nap.
Lotion on stretch marks doesn't help, but it feels good.
I got huge lumpy stretch marks. They look like veins, only lighter. Ick.
My belly button never popped out, but it stretched so much I wish it would have just to relieve the pressure.
Edema (swelling) doesn't necessarily mean pre-eclampsia, but it made me worry. My blood pressure and protein were fine at every visit.
Blood pressure cuffs get tighter with every visit.
The babies can still squirm around enough to be ornery during non-stress tests, even at 37 weeks.
My hair grew like crazy - thicker, if not longer. I had a haircut every 4 weeks, and we thinned it out every time.
Sticking with a low-carb gestational diabetes diet really wasn't that hard, if I ate at home or brought my own snacks and lunches.  Trying to adhere to a low-carb diet while out to eat or at someone else's home is killer though, especially around the holidays.
I swallowed my pride and used a motorized shopping cart twice, once at Target, and once at Walmart.  The Walmart one was more comfortable, and the backup/reverse beeping wasn't insanely loud like the Target cart. Walmart was nicer about helping with the cart too.  They brought me a fully charged one from the other entrance without a problem.
My incredible husband has had to take on everything at home. He's doing laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc, while I sit with my feet up or take a nap.  That's a really guilty feeling.
Our older kids (8 and 11) also help, but they are kids. They load the dishwasher, then Daddy comes home and rearranges it!
I've learned some standard answers to most twin-specific questions, like fraternal or identical (we won't know until they're born), do they run in your family (they do now), they'll probably be small (about 6 lbs each so far), was this planned (one baby was planned, but God gave us two).  No really rude questions yet, but I've been forewarned by other twin moms!
Straight chairs with armrests are my worst enemy. Can't lean forward to eat because there's no room for my belly.
The swelling in my fingers and feet leaves my fingertips and toes feeling cold all the time, but they feel warm to other people. When Lily and I soaked our feet in a warm bath, my feet finally felt warm.  If I hold onto a cup of hot cider, my fingers eventually feel warm too.  So my typing has been somewhat sloppy, which drives me crazy - I am a spelling/grammar freak!
The handicapped bathroom stall is always for pregnant women too.  Wait for it if you need to, sometimes you'll need the handrails to stand up!
An SUV with a 3rd row seat will not work for twin babies and two older kids.  Get a van, preferably a Toyota Sienna - Swagger Wagon.
Involve the older kids.  Our 8 year old daughter loved helping fold the baby clothes, and came along to an ultrasound.  Our 11 year old son said the whole ultrasound thing was "creepy", but he helped out a lot around the house. He talks about his "little bros".
With the 2 older kids, baby gear was purchased or given to us as we needed it.  With the twins, everyone was incredibly generous and literally gave us everything, all at once.  Now that's overwhelming!
I bought new bottles, and my friend reminded me that she gave me the same kind - 13 of them!   Took the new bottles back - duh. Eventually we figured out that we had 3 infant bathtubs (only need 1), and way too many 0-3 month clothes.  We kept the clothes that we really liked, and gave the rest away.  I hope we don't regret it later!
Most baby websites and books are for single pregnancies.  They might have a section or chapter for multiples, but it's worth it to get twin/multiples books specifically.  I also liked twin-pregnancy-and-beyond.com.  Other MOMs (Moms of Multiples) are invaluable resources too - both for info and for what you'll really need with twins.
My family has officially diagnosed me with "baby brain".  I can't remember anything for long, or it takes me a little longer to get a joke or comprehend what they're talking about (with everyone, not just the kids).  So I've resorted to lots of note writing, and then I forget to read the note anyway. I have multiple reminders set on my phone for everything, IF I remember to enter it.  Roy gets me to all my appointments on time though.  He's only missed 3 appointments - the 12 week ultrasound when TWINS were discovered (I'll never live that down), and two NST's.  He says any time he can't make it, something weird happens - like that very first ultrasound - "Oh, I see there's two babies here."  TWINS!
Roy couldn't come to the last non-stress test (NST) because school was delayed for the older 2 kids.  Baby A wasn't cooperating so they had to bring in a 2nd nurse to help find his heartbeat.  I was changing position, eating an apple, drinking some water, anything to get both babies active.  Then they brought in an ultrasound machine and the doctor on call to find it their heartbeats. It was hard to see anything on the ultrasound because of all the swelling/edema, but once they got both babies' heartbeats on the monitors, they passed the test without any further problems.  We said if Daddy had been there, they would have been good!
At this point, I'm 2 days away from our c-section date, and WE ARE READY TO MEET THESE BABIES!!
Roy would like a redhead, and I'd like a Latino baby.  Maybe we'll get one of each!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you and your family! the boys are blessed to belong to an awesome family.

TheDorothyFamily said...

I'm voting with Roy for me and you for Eric :) Good luck!